We know there isn’t always time to make a breakfast that the whole family will like. These healthy waffles are an easy make-ahead recipe that can be frozen and quickly toasted when needed – YUM!
These little waffles are loaded with healthy fats and fibre from the seeds. Have 7.5 grams* of protein each! And are sweetened with apples (no refined sugars here!). Most importantly, they have vegetables in them and in our books getting vegetables at breakfast is a parenting win.
Super Seed Toaster Waffles
Makes 16 waffles (based on ⅓ heaping cup of batter per waffle)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup olive or avocado oil
- 1.5 cups shredded apple (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini or carrot ( about 1 small zucchini or 2 medium carrots)
- Preheat waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and seeds. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk, eggs, and oil; pour over flour mixture, and whisk gently to combine. Stir in shredded apple and zucchini or carrots.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, cook waffles until deep golden brown and crisp. If needed, oil waffle maker.
- To freeze, split waffle into toaster sized pieces. Lay waffles flat on a sheet pan and put in the freezer for 4 hours or until completely frozen. Transfer to freezer bag or container. Keep for up to 6 months frozen.
- When ready to eat, toast waffles in a toaster or in a 400 degree fahrenheit oven until crisp and hot. Serve with maple syrup, Strawberry Chia Jam, or your child’s favourite Love Child puree.
To make this recipe gluten-free, replace 2 cups all-purpose flour with 2 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour that includes xanthan gum or 1:1 gluten-free flour.
To make recipe plant-based, replace 1 cup milk with 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy alternative. Remove eggs from the recipe – without eggs, the waffles will be slightly less fluffy and crisp.
*Based on 16 waffles made without substitutions.