By: Chantal Urbina (bio)
I have a confession. I have never attempted to make real jam and after coming up with this recipe, I never will. The process seems so tedious and lengthy and all for a spread loaded with too much sugar and preservatives. My hell-bent on health version takes all of 10 minutes to make and is a complete guilt-free ingredient for those precious PB & J sandwiches. Thankfully, all-natural peanut butters (and other nut and seed butters) are everywhere and now we have an all-natural jelly to go with them.
The chia seeds in this recipe allow the jam to thicken nicely and of course add an array of health benefits. Really though, where have chia seeds been all of our lives? These little seeds of power are without a doubt, a top super food. Include these little gems in your diets wherever and whenever you can. This jam could be made with absolutely any fruit you desire. You could also extend the shelf-life by another couple of days by adding a generous squirt of fresh lemon juice as the final step.
Strawberry Chia Jam
Makes ~1 cup serving
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (feel free to use any frozen fruit)
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. honey (or maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, or 4 drops of liquid stevia)
- Soften the fruit in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once softened, turn the heat off and mash the fruit with a fork. Leave some chunks if you desire.
- Add the water (use less if you prefer thicker spreads), chia seeds, and your chosen all-natural sweetener and stir together.
- Remove from heat to let set.
- Enjoy right away or store in a glass jar in the fridge (use within 7 days).
Meet Chantal Urbina
I am currently a retired Registered Massage Therapist on maternity leave with my first child. I am a certified Culinary Nutrition Expert and aim to create delicious but powerful meals that serve our bodies with the love and respect they deserve. Introducing solids to my daughter, Eliana, has further inspired me to create recipes with holistic foods. Motherhood has blessed me with the highest motivation to live the healthiest and happiest life that I can. Summers are when I shine my brightest as I live for adventures out in the sun. I live in Winnipeg with my daughter, husband and two cats.