I would like to introduce the ultimate recipe for this time of year. It is back to school and it is autumn. This means we need allergy friendly snacks and lunch ideas for the kids and it also means…pumpkin everything. Pumpkin is actually a fantastic ingredient that allows us to cut out eggs, reduce excessive amounts of oils, and avoid nut butters in recipes. It also tastes fabulous and blesses us with quality fibre.
These fall favourites are forgiving in which super foods can be used. Play around with different nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and other ingredients you have on hand. It’s a soft square that is sure to fuel us with the energy us parents and our kids need for those busy days.
Pumpkin Granola Squares
- 2 cups whole rolled oats (not instant)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 cup crushed almonds (or more seeds to keep it nut-free)
- 1/8 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 cup hemp hearts
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp. salt
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1/8 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, nuts, coconut, hemp hearts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin, coconut oil, honey, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mix to the dry and mix together thoroughly.
- Place the granola mix in a lightly sprayed 8×8 pan (or make a parchment paper sling for easy removal). Press down firmly to ensure it’s packed down nicely.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Try to let it cool completely before cutting. Premature cutting may result in some crumbles as the granola will still be quite soft and tender.