By: Chantal Urbina (bio)
February marks the month of love and with Valentine’s Day around the corner, I wanted to share a recipe that the whole family could enjoy together. This is a guilt-free treat that is sure to win over a few hearts. Now this recipe is no instant package of empty calories from harmful chemicals and preservatives. Did you know that the beloved store bought brands of chocolate pudding contain red, yellow, and blue food coloring along with additional artificial colours? That is both terrifying and oh so unnecessary.
This recipe includes only real and wholesome ingredients. Incorporating avocado into this nutritious dessert does our bodies a whole bunch of good. This plant based food is loaded with healthy fats, fibre, and an abundance of essential nutrients. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas do (making this specific recipe a potassium rich delight as banana is also used). As a conscious and mindful parent, I find this nutritious and wholesome recipe to be a godsend. This Valentine’s Day, let’s all celebrate by enjoying this simple yet rich and decadent chocolate pudding.
chocolate avocado pudding
Makes 4 small servings
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 Tbsp. honey (or maple syrup/coconut nectar)*
- 3 heaping Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk (or any milk/milk alternative)
- 1⁄2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients together thoroughly in a blender or food processor.
- Once a rich and creamy consistency has been reached, pour the pudding into an air tight container and let sit in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- Garnish with whatever your heart desires (dark chocolate shavings, fresh or dried fruit, unsweetened coconut, nuts and seeds, hemp hearts, etc.)
Meet Chantal Urbina
I am currently a retired Registered Massage Therapist on maternity leave with my first child. I am a certified Culinary Nutrition Expert and aim to create delicious but powerful meals that serve our bodies with the love and respect they deserve. Introducing solids to my daughter, Eliana, has further inspired me to create recipes with holistic foods. Motherhood has blessed me with the highest motivation to live the healthiest and happiest life that I can. Summers are when I shine my brightest as I live for adventures out in the sun. I live in Winnipeg with my daughter, husband and two cats.