Guest post by Nutty 4 Nutrition
I am a muffin queen. I adore them so much and I’ve made a ton of recipes, gaining so much experience in the art of muffin making. There is definitely such thing as a successful healthier homemade muffin. Taste, texture, and appearance all matters and nothing falls short in this recipe.
I added cooked red lentils to this recipe. I love adding red lentils anywhere I can. They cook almost to a purée making them easy to experiment with in both cooking and baking. Red lentils can do so much more than make a killer curry dish. Add the carrots, fresh ginger, eggs, and dried fruit and it’s evident that we have one heck of a nutritious snack or breakfast muffin. At 7g of both fibre and protein per serving, it’s a full out winner.
Carrot Ginger Lentil Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 Tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1 Tsp. Baking soda
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup cooked red lentils drained of the water
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or olive or coconut oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1.5 Tsp. fresh minced ginger root
- 1/4 cup chopped dates or any other dried fruit of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the carrots, red lentils, oil, eggs, sugar, syrup, and ginger.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly. Fold in the dried fruit of choice.
- Fill each muffin liner 3/4 of the way and bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Meet Chantal Urbina
I am currently a retired Registered Massage Therapist on maternity leave with my first child. I am a certified Culinary Nutrition Expert and aim to create delicious but powerful meals that serve our bodies with the love and respect they deserve. Introducing solids to my daughter, Eliana, has further inspired me to create recipes with holistic foods. Motherhood has blessed me with the highest motivation to live the healthiest and happiest life that I can. Summers are when I shine my brightest as I live for adventures out in the sun. I live in Winnipeg with my daughter, husband and two cats.