By: Chantal Urbina (bio)
The holiday season has ended and I’ve been whipping up recipes left, right, and center. Recipes that my body is craving. Recipes full of nourishment, fuel, and flavour. Of course, my toddler is always at the back of my mind when I tackle new creations. Ideally, I want to provide my whole family with meals and snacks that support our health but also that we can all enjoy. I do my best to avoid making alterations just for her because well, life is hard enough as a parent am I right?
These vegetarian bites of bliss are honestly one of my favourite toddler friendly ideas. They are full of incredible ingredients that provide us with tons of essential nutrients. I even included some superfood hemp hearts in the mix for some extra protein and omega love. These Sundried Tomato Quinoa Bites serve well as a snack and can also make for a great meal paired with pasta, zucchini noodles, or a fresh salad. If I can recommend but only but one thing, it would be to double batch this recipe – trust me.
Sundried Tomato Quinoa Bites
- 1 ¼ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup spinach, packed
- 1 ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ + 2 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped in small pieces (I used the jarred & marinated).
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 Tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ Tsp. sea salt
- ¼ Tsp. garlic powder
- Boil the cauliflower florets until they are soft and tender.
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower and spinach until blended.
- Add the quinoa and hemp hearts and pulse until everything is broken down thoroughly (but not completely smooth like a puree).
- Transfer the pulsed ingredients into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir until everything is combined well.
- Roll the mixture into balls using a tablespoon.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat the skillet with avocado or olive oil.
- Cook the balls for a few minutes on each side to ensure they have cooked through.
- Garnish with your favourite pasta sauce and extra feta if you wish.
I am currently a retired Registered Massage Therapist on maternity leave with my first child. I am a certified Culinary Nutrition Expert and aim to create delicious but powerful meals that serve our bodies with the love and respect they deserve. Introducing solids to my daughter, Eliana, has further inspired me to create recipes with holistic foods. Motherhood has blessed me with the highest motivation to live the healthiest and happiest life that I can. Summers are when I shine my brightest as I live for adventures out in the sun. I live in Winnipeg with my daughter, husband and two cats.