By: Chantal Urbina (bio)
Oats are a fabulous and nutritious choice for breakfast. They are quite a popular staple for many as they are affordable and provide family members with long lasting energy to take on the day. This hearty bowl has so many health benefits it’s almost unbelievable. The mighty chia seeds allow the oat mixture to thicken up perfectly all while adding an amazing source of healthy fats, protein, and fibre. The meal is sweetened only by all-natural sources and the amount can totally be altered to your liking. I adore blueberries with this recipe but also quite enjoy chopped up apple, raspberries, and pomegranate when it is in season. It’s a hearty bowl that you can easily make your own and it will be a hit with the whole family. So, go on and buy some large whole oats (not instant) and get to making this warm, comforting, perfectly spiced oatmeal bowl.
Blueberry Oatmeal Bowl
Makes 2 servings
- 1/3 cup large whole oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- crushed walnuts to garnish
- Mix all ingredients except for the hemp hearts, blueberries, and garnish items in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and fold in the hemp hearts and blueberries.
- Portion into bowls and garnish with crushed walnuts.
Meet Chantal Urbina
I am currently a retired Registered Massage Therapist on maternity leave with my first child. I am a certified Culinary Nutrition Expert and aim to create delicious but powerful meals that serve our bodies with the love and respect they deserve. Introducing solids to my daughter, Eliana, has further inspired me to create recipes with holistic foods. Motherhood has blessed me with the highest motivation to live the healthiest and happiest life that I can. Summers are when I shine my brightest as I live for adventures out in the sun. I live in Winnipeg with my daughter, husband and two cats.